Rock bottom price promos

Boru

Reaction score
I have run "half-price" promos in the past and had them backfire on me. All I got was cheapos who stopped coming the minute the promo ended.

I got to thinking recently about running a really low-priced special on my slow days just to fill my book.

Wednesdays are slow for me and I don't care for working late into the evening, so I decided to run a half-price special on Wednesdays from 10am-4pm. Its half price off of an "hour therapeutic" which is normally $70 and its a "professional hour" of 50 minutes, so its not really half price for me.

I figure its worth it to fill those time slots with discounted sessions than have none at all, plus I'm not giving away cheap massages during prime hours like evenings, fridays or saturdays. I'm only running this special through the month of July to see how it goes.

However, I am considering running this special long term if it leads to regular, loyal clients. So far, its working! I'm getting calls and I'm filling in the time slots and the best part is that its mostly women! (I've never been particularly comfortable with male callers since I work from my home.) Do you think I could be getting more women because of the lower price? Women love a bargain, and men, at least the unsavory kind, might think they get "more" when they pay more for a massage?

I've also been thinking that I would rather charge lower prices and have long-term, loyal clients who keep standing appointments than charge a really high rate and have people unable to committ to a regular standing appointment. Does that make sense? However, as I said before, I would not work evenings or weekends for lower than the regular rate.

Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients?

Rock bottom price promos

I would prefer to build a steady clientele with excellent work and higher prices. Discount rates is a hard rut to pull out from.

Rock bottom price promos

Elliemare wrote:
Do you think I could be getting more women because of the lower price? Women love a bargain, and men, at least the unsavory kind, might think they get "more" when they pay more for a massage?

I know this sounds crude but a man can get a blowjob for $20 or less, so that is unlikely.

As to your question
Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients?
that depends on the math. I charge $80 per hour, since most of my clients pre-pay pkgs, I usually get $68 per hour. Okay, I work generally about five clients a day and that brings in $340 for five physical hours of work and add in about two hours of record, note and clean-up.

Okay, say I work at a local franchise and make $20 per hour. I know that is a valid example because one of the young women I am mentoring is making that amount at a local franchise. She will make $100 for five hours of work, so she would need to work 17 hours in order to bring in what I'm getting for 5-7 hours of work.

I agree with Walt, if you want to do steep discounts to fill in slow days, that's your call, but you might not want to do that for an extended amount of time. Here's some things to think about:
1. Why can't you bring in regular paying clients on your slow days, or make those clients coming in on slow days higher paying clientele?
2. Why are you having difficulty with regular paying clients keeping their appointments?

It takes patience to wait out and build the business and although times may seem desperate, you have to look at things in a world-view manner. Eventually, you may burn out or start resenting offering all the lower prices and even get clients who find out you are offering lower prices to others and they will want the same. And you're just guessing those clients are going to become regulars. You will know for sure after a month or so. Those "regulars" may only be after a deal, when it's gone--- so are they.

For me, I would rather charge my regular fee and have less clients, than charge less and have to work more.

Rock bottom price promos

The problem is that I'm now dealing with a completely different client demographic. I used to live in the city where people had no qualms about paying higher prices for massage. However, even in the city I would have some people drop off the books for a while due to financial issues, or the fact that they are feeling better, their neck pain is gone and they feel they don't need a massage as often. (Of course after a while when the stress creeps back in they're soon sorry they didn't maintain that standing appointment. ;) )

Now I live in the country where everyone is, frankly, cheap. Plus, we have 8 massage schools (in a 35 mile radius) in our not-so-densely populated area (there were 2 when went to school). So, the demographic has changed everywhere due to the oversaturation of MT's in our area. Its a lot different today than it was when I was getting started 12 years ago. Most people who work from their homes charge really low rates. $60/hour in this area is considered really expensive. And even in the city, most MT's haven't raised their prices in 10 years. $60 was the going rate in 1999 and still is today. Its sad.

As I see it right now, if I can control the hours and days in which I choose to work for a discounted rate, its better than not working at all. I could continue to have these offers run as a "special" and never make it anything permanent so I can pull the plug on it at any time.

Its so hard to fill daytime hours and if people are willing to come to me during those times I'll work for a discount. Otherwise, I'll just have more time on my hands to weed my gardens and I don't get paid to do that.

Rock bottom price promos

I have to agree with Walt's answer(scroll up).

However, in response to your question, I would rather have "higher rates & fewer clients". But, I am getting older and find that long days of massage packed with a lot of clients does cause extra wear and tear on my body and I would like to be providing bodywork into my 60's. So, I may be a little different than the average bodyworker.

I don't count my personal worth by the amount of clients I see or the money I make, if that makes a difference.

As I recall from another post, you don't have to work... you like to work. I am really happy that you seem to be filling your books with return clients who are female which is what you have been seeking. Will they continue to see you when the sale dies off? And do you know how you will get them on board with regular pricing and do you even care at this point? I'd think these would be the things you would want to ask yourself next.

If you want to charge lower rates, another option would be to start charging a little more than the demographic you have moved into and see how things go. Not your city fee, but the fee that works for your community. It may be better than trying to sell "deals" and get people used to paying regular non-sale prices. Just to put them in a more solid thought pattern about your business.

The other possibility is to use your free time to market your business, but going to the respective businesses in town. After meeting the owners, send them a gift certificate and nice introduction letter about what you can do for their bodywork needs. You'd basically be giving away one massage, and then encouraging these people to come in at full price, instead of working cheap for long term. I think it probably would all shake out in the wash as to what you are doing currently, and possibly bring you in people who would pay your preferred rate. Maybe give ten a month and expire them in a months time or something. (???) Just a random thought...

Warm thoughts that you are able to come up with the right plan that works for you.

Rock bottom price promos

So, let's look at the math from your perspective... I was just using me as an example b/c I don't know what the going rate is in your area. To be honest, $80/hr is actually mid-range for the area I work b/c my office is in an affluent area of San Diego.

From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70? If that's the case, you could just lower your fees to reflect the going average on your slow days, even maybe charging $55/hr rather than dropping them to half off (which would be $35?). Even in that situation, you would still bring in more money working less, which is (IMO) a better situation for us mt's b/c massage does put wear and tear on the body. But, if Pueppi is correct, and you don't depend on the work to pay bills and eat, then you have more freedom making decisions whether or not they are conducive for business growth. For someone who depends on clientele to pay bills and such, the decision to discount by half over a long period of time is not a good business decision.

Rock bottom price promos

My first thought is whatever works for you, do it. If it's meeting your needs and your situation, that is what matters. From what I understand you are tyring to fill a slow time slot with massage. Instead of the 60 Minute session you are doing the 50 Minute. (Do you do 60 minutes normally?) Women are booking, which you want. It's in your home, you are not working somewhere else and making $20 (or whatever) plus tips. From what was mentioned before this is not money you are depending on for your household.

Something I thought about is what if I was your client? How would I repsond if I had been coming in at your $35 rate and then the special was over? It's one thing to try it once and then start paying full rate, but what if I had done it multiple times? Knowing my self I don't think I'd be back at the full rate unless you were the best MT I have ever seen! I do think that a low rate can affect the client on a subconscious or pyschological level. The dollar value is less, the personal value might become less. There's my food for thought.

"Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients?"

Would I do it? No, it's not something that would be win-win for me. I am different shoes. I also prefer not to do discounts other than a package. As far as my own business goes, I have been "self emloyed" since Oct 2009. Before that I was an employee. When I started self employement I decided no discounts, only packages up to $10 off a session. There were a few times in the beginning months that it was slow going, but now I have over 13 months of being booked enough and many times I am fully booked. It was worth it to me to go through the slow times to get to the volume I am at now.

Rock bottom price promos

kathryn said:
From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70?

No actually $60 is the going rate for spas and wellness centers and chiropractors. Most home based practitioners charge less. I've seen home-based therapists charge as little as $25 an hour! Another therapist only does 90 minute massages :smt017 and charges just $60 from her home. Now most of them don't have a nice of a set up as I have, some even doing massage in their living rooms. I get the impression sometimes that some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home? I have been charging $60-$70 an hour since I was in the city and I've kept my rates the same since relocating.

Anyway, I'm only running the special, Wednesdays through the month of July, so that's essentially just four days. I really wanted to fill in that day because its my husband's 12 hour work day and I'm home alone ALL DAY. However, the discounted rate is from 10-4, taking my last (discount) appointment at 4 pm. And I'm sticking to my guns on that too! No one is going to talk me in to giving them the discounted rate on any other day or at any other time!

I'm really pleased that I am getting mostly women too. Actually all of them live within very close proximity to me. One even has a horse farm, and I just finished my equine massage training! I'm trying to think of ways to get horse owners, trainers, farrier, vets on my table so they can experience first hand what I can do for them and their horses. I'm not sure how approach that situation yet? Discount? Freebee? IDK?

Rock bottom price promos

Elliemare said:
kathryn said:
From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70?

No actually $60 is the going rate for spas and wellness centers and chiropractors. Most home based practitioners charge less. I've seen home-based therapists charge as little as $25 an hour! Another therapist only does 90 minute massages :smt017 and charges just $60 from her home. Now most of them don't have a nice of a set up as I have, some even doing massage in their living rooms. I get the impression sometimes that some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home? I have been charging $60-$70 an hour since I was in the city and I've kept my rates the same since relocating.

So, Elliemare, you don't tell us what the average or even high home rates are beside yours. You've mentioned what you've seen as low. What about the others? Just how high are you above other home practices? Possibly it will make a difference on people having this conversation with you.

Elliemare said:
Anyway, I'm only running the special, Wednesdays through the month of July, so that's essentially just four days. I really wanted to fill in that day because its my husband's 12 hour work day and I'm home alone ALL DAY. However, the discounted rate is from 10-4, taking my last (discount) appointment at 4 pm.
In your opening post you mentioned "However, I am considering running this special long term if it leads to regular, loyal clients. So far, its working! I'm getting calls and I'm filling in the time slots and the best part is that its mostly women!"

It's a little hard to tell if you are continuing with the deal or only doing it through July. Initial post... thinking about extending. In your recent post, you are only running the special through July. This tends to confuse the conversation.

Elliemare said:
I'm trying to think of ways to get horse owners, trainers, farrier, vets on my table so they can experience first hand what I can do for them and their horses. I'm not sure how approach that situation yet? Discount? Freebee? IDK?
You may want to make a new topic with this question. It seems to be different than this topic, and may not garner too many results here. If you start a new topic, maybe you'll get more creative ideas. (???)

Rock bottom price promos

One suggestion I will give you is have the equine massage on it's own page. With you having human and equine massage blended on the same pages can be confusing to potential clients who don't know a thing about horses.

You have about 5 sec. to get peoples attention that land on your home page. And your home page screams all about horses, which is great if that's what you want.

So I would pay attention to your website stats. Learn what keys words are bring people to your site, how long they stay on your home page. And compare that to how much your phone rings.

Rock bottom price promos

You have about 5 sec. to get peoples attention that land on your home page. And your home page screams all about horses, which is great if that's what you want.

That is actually what I want. I even changed my business cards to be primarly equine related with people secondary. (but I do have two different sets of business cards anyway.) I really think that I would rather connect with potential people clients through the equine massage. I did this because of the negative experiences with (male) clients I've had calling me lately. Using the equine massage as my primary marketing tool seems to be weeding out the weirdos! I'm also getting more horsewomen! Because as you know there are a lot of women who are just plain horse crazy! I may actually do a yellow pages ad for the first time ever, since I can now market equine massage. I never ran a regular massage ad in the phone book, due to weirdos. There is a really big grey area with legitimate MT's and prostitutes these days in my area. The massage parlors are stealing us professional's wording and descriptions to keep a clean looking front. Its really confusing to clients. I want something that sets me apart and gets the point across "Legitimate trained professional. And I mean it!!" having the equine practice seems to do that for me. Or at least I hope so. I may change things a bit on my website and see what happens.

Pueppi,

I haven't yet decided if I'm running the special beyond July. That's why I'm contemplating the issue. As long as I run it as a special I can still pull the plug on it at any time. As of right now, the offer ends the end of July, I'm stil considering whether or not to run the special long term or not. That decision has not yet been made.

I would say that they high end of home based practices in this area is pretty much what I'm already charging - around $60 an hour, so I'm one of the more expensive home based therapists in the community.

I connected with a local church yesterday that has a prominent member of the congregation who runs a massage school and the church has a therapeutic riding program!

Rock bottom price promos

Just trying to stay within my conversation with you, so please bear with me. :p

Elliemare said:
kathryn said:

Elliemare said:
I would say that they high end of home based practices in this area is pretty much what I'm already charging - around $60 an hour, so I'm one of the more expensive home based therapists in the community.

So, there are people in your area who are indeed charging about $60/hour for home based practices. And, additionally the average spas & chiropractic offices also charge this rate.

You have also found that more of the home-based practices are at an average of $45/hour and "don't have a nice of a set up" as you.

But, you feel like "some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home". {Insert a big question here: Do you really care what some people think?}

Since you "would rather charge lower prices and have long-term, loyal clients who keep standing appointments than charge a really high rate and have people unable to commit to a regular standing appointment." & will "not work evenings or weekends for lower than the regular rate", then I think I have an idea:

• You could drop your pricing structure to be in the high range of what people are willing to pay in your community. Something between $50 & $60/hour based on how your space compares to those other therapists charging the same or higher rates for their home based practices.

• Let people know you don't take tips, but would rather have the referrals of their friends and family.

• Change your office hours to reflect the times you want to work for that fee. And, add a sur-charge for the times you want to be paid more. "A standard sur-charge of $15/hour will be charged for appointments after regular posted business hours and on weekends."

• Take your extra time in the day to market your business. Make it simple. Create a list of potential contacts to see each week and make it a priority to engage at least five of those in person. Dress the part. Make an appointment. Start getting your name out there - not only to local businesses, but also to the local doctors and other health care practitioners. Go in with the state of mind that they are going to want to refer clients to you, and tell them why. It may be difficult at first, but you'll get good at it in no time, and begin to create the practice you want within your new small town over the next number of years.

I think it is a good start to get you on the way to offering fixed prices (instead of sales and bargains which may not reward you with a loyal customer base).

Pueppi,

Great advice!! Thanks so much!

I was thinking something else too that would fit well with your suggestions. I might consider lowering my rates to $50 or $55 an hour and sticking to a 50 minute hour. I've been really bad over the years about sticking to a 60 minute hour and I have a tendency to run over by a few minutes here and there. My clients appreciate it, and then they start to expect it. Then I find myself resenting it. I have to stick to my boundaries, I already know that is an issue for me, so if I make the concentrated effort to stick to a firm 50 minute hour, I won't begrudge the price reduction so much!

Also, I could used the reduced time at this seforum.xxxe of my career. That ten minute reduction in treatment time could be part of my "burnout prevention program"!

Elliemare said:
I might consider lowering my rates to $50 or $55 an hour and sticking to a 50 minute hour. ...if I make the concentrated effort to stick to a firm 50 minute hour, I won't begrudge the price reduction so much!

That ten minute reduction in treatment time could be part of my "burnout prevention program"!

There is no better time to start a new protocol than in a new location.

I am enjoying this thread, because it gives me thigs to think of for the future, since I would like to eventually move to a very small Texas town which might not be able to afford the same kind of fees I charge currently.

Great ideas.

07/07/11 - typo correction[/quote]

//

Options:

BBCode is ON

is ON

[flash] is OFF

[url] is ON

Smilies are ON

Disable BBCode

Disable smilies

Do not automatically parse URLs

Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)

Notify me when a reply is posted

ย 
ย  ย 

//

Upload attachment

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Filename

File comment

ย 

ย 
ย 

Topic review - Rock bottom price promos

Author

JasonE

ย 
Post subject:ย 
Re: Rock bottom price promos
ย 

There is no such thing as a "50 minute hour." That phrase is a successful-but-not-true marketing gimmick. Either you are doing an hour massage (60 minutes) or you are doing 50 minutes of massage.

There is no such thing as a "50 minute hour." That phrase is a successful-but-not-true marketing gimmick. Either you are doing an hour massage (60 minutes) or you are doing 50 minutes of massage.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:05 pm

squash_blsm

ย 
ย 

Great job!If it's not real noticeable you can still choose whether or not to take a guy newbie.You bring up an interesting point...as far as the men who are looking for sexual services, you could see how they would be very confused.As far as they can see most massage facilities provide what they are looking for.Some of the shady places are advertising themselves as "day spas"How are they supposed to know?No matter what legitimate MT's put in their website copy or ads - these places put similar things.I hesitate adding this notice to my intake - but I think it's necessary for male clients - something about that the session will be terminated immediately upon any bad behavior on their part. And just practice ending a session without a bunch of drama - just be firm and keep to a no tolerance policy. I've said it many times - once you have a clear plan in place these things have a way of not happening anymore.And it's not just the new guys you have to be cautious with - I recently had a male client of many years cross the line.He had slowly gotten more "affectionate"...a thank you hug...then a peck on the cheek with the hug...nothing too bad - I get hugs all the time...but I was still surprised by the last one.... a full on kiss on the mouth (ewwww! bleechhh! ).I suppose many people have or develop strong feelings toward their MT's -------------------------Oh I forgot - Asian and Oriental Massage seems to be the new thing they are calling it around here - advertising their young and beautiful staff.

Great job!If it's not real noticeable you can still choose whether or not to take a guy newbie.You bring up an interesting point...as far as the men who are looking for sexual services, you could see how they would be very confused.As far as they can see most massage facilities provide what they are looking for.Some of the shady places are advertising themselves as "day spas"How are they supposed to know?No matter what legitimate MT's put in their website copy or ads - these places put similar things.I hesitate adding this notice to my intake - but I think it's necessary for male clients - something about that the session will be terminated immediately upon any bad behavior on their part. And just practice ending a session without a bunch of drama - just be firm and keep to a no tolerance policy. I've said it many times - once you have a clear plan in place these things have a way of not happening anymore.And it's not just the new guys you have to be cautious with - I recently had a male client of many years cross the line.He had slowly gotten more "affectionate"...a thank you hug...then a peck on the cheek with the hug...nothing too bad - I get hugs all the time...but I was still surprised by the last one.... a full on kiss on the mouth (ewwww! :P bleechhh! :x ).I suppose many people have or develop strong feelings toward their MT's -------------------------Oh I forgot - Asian and Oriental Massage seems to be the new thing they are calling it around here - advertising their young and beautiful staff.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:06 am

Elliemare

ย 
ย 

I haven't gotten a response from that guy since I reiterated to him that I do NOT do Esalen and I DO specialize in sports massage. I guess I don't provide the type of service he is seeking! I did post something within my website that states I specialize in women's issues, and I only take male clients by referral only, but I didn't plaster it all over the place. Its just in there in case I need to refer to it when dealing with a client whom I don't feel comfortable taking.Its a shame. I had a lot of great male clients in the past. I had more men as clients than women. It seems like the lines have gotten really blurred between legitimate MT's and prostitutes and I'm trying to figure out why? It could be that 15 years ago there was a major bust of all massage parlors in our area (the mayor was trying to clean up the city... and he did!) they were all shut down. I went to massage school 3 years after that and had no major problems with men over the years. Now the massage parlors are creeping back in and in an effort to appear "clean" they are stealing the professionals shpeel. Its confusing to the clients, I guess? It seems that no matter how many times you state "Clinical/medical/therapeutic, Non-sexual etc..." these guys just don't take it seriously!

I haven't gotten a response from that guy since I reiterated to him that I do NOT do Esalen and I DO specialize in sports massage. I guess I don't provide the type of service he is seeking! I did post something within my website that states I specialize in women's issues, and I only take male clients by referral only, but I didn't plaster it all over the place. Its just in there in case I need to refer to it when dealing with a client whom I don't feel comfortable taking.Its a shame. I had a lot of great male clients in the past. I had more men as clients than women. It seems like the lines have gotten really blurred between legitimate MT's and prostitutes and I'm trying to figure out why? It could be that 15 years ago there was a major bust of all massage parlors in our area (the mayor was trying to clean up the city... and he did!) they were all shut down. I went to massage school 3 years after that and had no major problems with men over the years. Now the massage parlors are creeping back in and in an effort to appear "clean" they are stealing the professionals shpeel. Its confusing to the clients, I guess? It seems that no matter how many times you state "Clinical/medical/therapeutic, Non-sexual etc..." these guys just don't take it seriously!

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:56 am

pueppi

ย 
ย 

Elliemare wrote: Only problem I've run into now is that I just got an email from my first male client since I began running the special.I think I recognize this guys email address and I believe he may have been a creep in the past?It's not a problem... it's a request for a service you don't provide. If you don't provide it and that's what he wants, he'll need to find another practitioner.Simple enough.

[quote="Elliemare"] Only problem I've run into now is that I just got an email from my first male client since I began running the special.I think I recognize this guys email address and I believe he may have been a creep in the past?[/quote]It's not a problem... it's a request for a service you don't provide. If you don't provide it and that's what he wants, he'll need to find another practitioner.Simple enough.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:27 pm

Elliemare

ย 
ย 

I'm just suspicious because I think I recognise this guy's email address. Plus, in one sentence he says, "I don't know much about Russian, or Esalen, but I know we can rule out sports." Then he goes on to say: "How about Esalen or a combination of esalen and swedish"I responded to him and firmly told him that I do NOT do esalen at all anymore and rarely take clients who request esalen since its "not a modality that I resonate to." I have removed esalen from my website.Quote:You can take a male client by referral only and just let the cold callers know that. Another great idea!

I'm just suspicious because I think I recognise this guy's email address. Plus, in one sentence he says, "I don't know much about Russian, or Esalen, but I know we can rule out sports." Then he goes on to say: "How about Esalen or a combination of esalen and swedish"I responded to him and firmly told him that I do NOT do esalen at all anymore and rarely take clients who request esalen since its "not a modality that I resonate to." I have removed esalen from my website.[quote]You can take a male client by referral only and just let the cold callers know that.[/quote] Another great idea!

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:38 am

squash_blsm

ย 
ย 

Elliemare wrote:I've made some changes to my website too. I looked up ways to make my homepage more effective. Only problem I've run into now is that I just got an email from my first male client since I began running the special.I think I recognize this guys email address and I believe he may have been a creep in the past? I responded to his email and asked lots of questions about his issues, expectations etc. He has no chronic pain or injuries, he can eliminate sports massage for sure as a chosen modality, and he's interested in Esalen and/or swedish or a combo of both. (First he said he doesn't know anything about Esalen, then he says he'd like to experience Esalen??? ) Esalen is a red flag for me (I didn't even realize that I still had it listed as one of my modalities, I really need to take it off of the website). He's also willing to take just about any appointment time I have available. I explained again that my modalities are very clinical in nature and my specialty is sports massage and equine massage. I'm waiting to hear back from him again. I don't have a good feeling about this one, I'm not sure what to do?Some of my best clients have been men. But there is not reason that you "need" to accept ANY male clients.If you are always second guessing yourself then it's not worth it.All you have to do is tweak your website to say that your primary focus is on women's sports/clinical massage and equine massage.You can take a male client by referral only and just let the cold callers know that.It's your call.You already know what a lot of their code words are...esalen is one of them, prostate massage is another, "sensual" massage, and the cold caller that starts right in with his "groin" injury.

[quote="Elliemare"]I've made some changes to my website too. I looked up ways to make my homepage more effective. Only problem I've run into now is that I just got an email from my first male client since I began running the special.I think I recognize this guys email address and I believe he may have been a creep in the past? I responded to his email and asked lots of questions about his issues, expectations etc. He has no chronic pain or injuries, he can eliminate sports massage for sure as a chosen modality, and he's interested in Esalen and/or swedish or a combo of both. (First he said he doesn't know anything about Esalen, then he says he'd like to experience Esalen??? :undecided: ) Esalen is a red flag for me (I didn't even realize that I still had it listed as one of my modalities, I really need to take it off of the website). He's also willing to take just about any appointment time I have available. I explained again that my modalities are very clinical in nature and my specialty is sports massage and equine massage. I'm waiting to hear back from him again. I don't have a good feeling about this one, I'm not sure what to do?[/quote]Some of my best clients have been men. But there is not reason that you "need" to accept ANY male clients.If you are always second guessing yourself then it's not worth it.All you have to do is tweak your website to say that your primary focus is on women's sports/clinical massage and equine massage.You can take a male client by referral only and just let the cold callers know that.It's your call.You already know what a lot of their code words are...esalen is one of them, prostate massage is another, "sensual" massage, and the cold caller that starts right in with his "groin" injury. :lol:

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:16 am

Elliemare

ย 
ย 

I've made some changes to my website too. I looked up ways to make my homepage more effective. Only problem I've run into now is that I just got an email from my first male client since I began running the special.I think I recognize this guys email address and I believe he may have been a creep in the past? I responded to his email and asked lots of questions about his issues, expectations etc. He has no chronic pain or injuries, he can eliminate sports massage for sure as a chosen modality, and he's interested in Esalen and/or swedish or a combo of both. (First he said he doesn't know anything about Esalen, then he says he'd like to experience Esalen??? ) Esalen is a red flag for me (I didn't even realize that I still had it listed as one of my modalities, I really need to take it off of the website). He's also willing to take just about any appointment time I have available. I explained again that my modalities are very clinical in nature and my specialty is sports massage and equine massage. I'm waiting to hear back from him again. I don't have a good feeling about this one, I'm not sure what to do?

I've made some changes to my website too. I looked up ways to make my homepage more effective. Only problem I've run into now is that I just got an email from my first male client since I began running the special.I think I recognize this guys email address and I believe he may have been a creep in the past? I responded to his email and asked lots of questions about his issues, expectations etc. He has no chronic pain or injuries, he can eliminate sports massage for sure as a chosen modality, and he's interested in Esalen and/or swedish or a combo of both. (First he said he doesn't know anything about Esalen, then he says he'd like to experience Esalen??? :undecided: ) Esalen is a red flag for me (I didn't even realize that I still had it listed as one of my modalities, I really need to take it off of the website). He's also willing to take just about any appointment time I have available. I explained again that my modalities are very clinical in nature and my specialty is sports massage and equine massage. I'm waiting to hear back from him again. I don't have a good feeling about this one, I'm not sure what to do?

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:26 am

pueppi

ย 
Re:
ย 

Elliemare wrote:I might consider lowering my rates to $50 or $55 an hour and sticking to a 50 minute hour. ...if I make the concentrated effort to stick to a firm 50 minute hour, I won't begrudge the price reduction so much!That ten minute reduction in treatment time could be part of my "burnout prevention program"!There is no better time to start a new protocol than in a new location. I am enjoying this thread, because it gives me thigs to think of for the future, since I would like to eventually move to a very small Texas town which might not be able to afford the same kind of fees I charge currently. Great ideas.07/07/11 - typo correction

[quote="Elliemare"]I might consider lowering my rates to $50 or $55 an hour and sticking to a 50 minute hour. ...if I make the concentrated effort to stick to a firm 50 minute hour, I won't begrudge the price reduction so much!That ten minute reduction in treatment time could be part of my "burnout prevention program"![/quote]There is no better time to start a new protocol than in a new location. I am enjoying this thread, because it gives me thigs to think of for the future, since I would like to eventually move to a very small Texas town which might not be able to afford the same kind of fees I charge currently. Great ideas.[size=50]07/07/11 - typo correction[/size]

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Elliemare

ย 

ย 

Pueppi, Great advice!! Thanks so much!I was thinking something else too that would fit well with your suggestions. I might consider lowering my rates to $50 or $55 an hour and sticking to a 50 minute hour. I've been really bad over the years about sticking to a 60 minute hour and I have a tendency to run over by a few minutes here and there. My clients appreciate it, and then they start to expect it. Then I find myself resenting it. I have to stick to my boundaries, I already know that is an issue for me, so if I make the concentrated effort to stick to a firm 50 minute hour, I won't begrudge the price reduction so much!Also, I could used the reduced time at this seforum.xxxe of my career. That ten minute reduction in treatment time could be part of my "burnout prevention program"!

Pueppi, Great advice!! Thanks so much!I was thinking something else too that would fit well with your suggestions. I might consider lowering my rates to $50 or $55 an hour and sticking to a 50 minute hour. I've been really bad over the years about sticking to a 60 minute hour and I have a tendency to run over by a few minutes here and there. My clients appreciate it, and then they start to expect it. Then I find myself resenting it. I have to stick to my boundaries, I already know that is an issue for me, so if I make the concentrated effort to stick to a firm 50 minute hour, I won't begrudge the price reduction so much!Also, I could used the reduced time at this seforum.xxxe of my career. That ten minute reduction in treatment time could be part of my "burnout prevention program"!

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:11 pm

pueppi

ย 
ย 

Just trying to stay within my conversation with you, so please bear with me. Elliemare wrote:kathryn wrote:From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70? No actually $60 is the going rate for spas and wellness centers and chiropractors. Most home based practitioners charge less. I've seen home-based therapists charge as little as $25 an hour! Another therapist only does 90 minute massages and charges just $60 from her home. Now most of them don't have a nice of a set up as I have, some even doing massage in their living rooms. I get the impression sometimes that some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home? I have been charging $60-$70 an hour since I was in the city and I've kept my rates the same since relocating. Elliemare wrote:I would say that they high end of home based practices in this area is pretty much what I'm already charging - around $60 an hour, so I'm one of the more expensive home based therapists in the community.So, there are people in your area who are indeed charging about $60/hour for home based practices. And, additionally the average spas & chiropractic offices also charge this rate. You have also found that more of the home-based practices are at an average of $45/hour and "don't have a nice of a set up" as you.But, you feel like "some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home". {Insert a big question here: Do you really care what some people think?}Since you "would rather charge lower prices and have long-term, loyal clients who keep standing appointments than charge a really high rate and have people unable to commit to a regular standing appointment." & will "not work evenings or weekends for lower than the regular rate", then I think I have an idea:You could drop your pricing structure to be in the high range of what people are willing to pay in your community. Something between $50 & $60/hour based on how your space compares to those other therapists charging the same or higher rates for their home based practices. Let people know you don't take tips, but would rather have the referrals of their friends and family.Change your office hours to reflect the times you want to work for that fee. And, add a sur-charge for the times you want to be paid more. "A standard sur-charge of $15/hour will be charged for appointments after regular posted business hours and on weekends."Take your extra time in the day to market your business. Make it simple. Create a list of potential contacts to see each week and make it a priority to engage at least five of those in person. Dress the part. Make an appointment. Start getting your name out there - not only to local businesses, but also to the local doctors and other health care practitioners. Go in with the state of mind that they are going to want to refer clients to you, and tell them why. It may be difficult at first, but you'll get good at it in no time, and begin to create the practice you want within your new small town over the next number of years.I think it is a good start to get you on the way to offering fixed prices (instead of sales and bargains which may not reward you with a loyal customer base).

Just trying to stay within my conversation with you, so please bear with me. :P [quote="Elliemare"][quote="kathryn"]From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70? [/quote]No actually $60 is the going rate for spas and wellness centers and chiropractors. Most home based practitioners charge less. I've seen home-based therapists charge as little as $25 an hour! Another therapist only does 90 minute massages :smt017 and charges just $60 from her home. Now most of them don't have a nice of a set up as I have, some even doing massage in their living rooms. I get the impression sometimes that some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home? I have been charging $60-$70 an hour since I was in the city and I've kept my rates the same since relocating. [/quote][quote="Elliemare"]I would say that they high end of home based practices in this area is pretty much what I'm already charging - around $60 an hour, so I'm one of the more expensive home based therapists in the community.[/quote]So, there [u]are[/u] people in your area who are indeed charging about $60/hour for home based practices. And, additionally the average spas & chiropractic offices also charge this rate. You have also found that more of the home-based practices are at an average of $45/hour and "[i][color=#400040]don't have a nice of a set up[/color][/i]" as you.But, you feel like "[i][color=#400040]some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home[/color][/i]". {[i][b]Insert a big question here[/b][/i]: [u]Do you really care what [i]some[/i] people think?[/u]}Since you "[i][color=#400040]would rather charge lower prices and have long-term, loyal clients who keep standing appointments than charge a really high rate and have people unable to commit to a regular standing appointment[/color]."[/i] & will [i]"[color=#400040]not work evenings or weekends for lower than the regular rate[/color][/i]", then I think I have an idea:[list][*]You could drop your pricing structure to be in the high range of what people are willing to pay in your community. Something between $50 & $60/hour based on how your space compares to those other therapists charging the same or higher rates for their home based practices. [*]Let people know you don't take tips, but would rather have the referrals of their friends and family.[*]Change your office hours to reflect the times you want to work for that fee. And, add a sur-charge for the times you want to be paid more. [i]"A standard sur-charge of $15/hour will be charged for appointments after regular posted business hours and on weekends."[/i][*]Take your extra time in the day to market your business. Make it simple. Create a list of potential contacts to see each week and make it a priority to engage at least five of those in person. Dress the part. Make an appointment. Start getting your name out there - not only to local businesses, but also to the local doctors and other health care practitioners. Go in with the state of mind that they are going to want to refer clients to you, and tell them why. It may be difficult at first, but you'll get good at it in no time, and begin to create the practice you want within your new small town over the next number of years.[/list]I think it is a good start to get you on the way to offering fixed prices ([i]instead of sales and bargains which may not reward you with a loyal customer base[/i]).

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 am

Elliemare

ย 
ย 

Quote:You have about 5 sec. to get peoples attention that land on your home page. And your home page screams all about horses, which is great if that's what you want.That is actually what I want. I even changed my business cards to be primarly equine related with people secondary. (but I do have two different sets of business cards anyway.) I really think that I would rather connect with potential people clients through the equine massage. I did this because of the negative experiences with (male) clients I've had calling me lately. Using the equine massage as my primary marketing tool seems to be weeding out the weirdos! I'm also getting more horsewomen! Because as you know there are a lot of women who are just plain horse crazy! I may actually do a yellow pages ad for the first time ever, since I can now market equine massage. I never ran a regular massage ad in the phone book, due to weirdos. There is a really big grey area with legitimate MT's and prostitutes these days in my area. The massage parlors are stealing us professional's wording and descriptions to keep a clean looking front. Its really confusing to clients. I want something that sets me apart and gets the point across "Legitimate trained professional. And I mean it!!" having the equine practice seems to do that for me. Or at least I hope so. I may change things a bit on my website and see what happens. Pueppi,I haven't yet decided if I'm running the special beyond July. That's why I'm contemplating the issue. As long as I run it as a special I can still pull the plug on it at any time. As of right now, the offer ends the end of July, I'm stil considering whether or not to run the special long term or not. That decision has not yet been made.I would say that they high end of home based practices in this area is pretty much what I'm already charging - around $60 an hour, so I'm one of the more expensive home based therapists in the community.I connected with a local church yesterday that has a prominent member of the congregation who runs a massage school and the church has a therapeutic riding program!

[quote]You have about 5 sec. to get peoples attention that land on your home page. And your home page screams all about horses, which is great if that's what you want.[/quote]That is actually what I want. I even changed my business cards to be primarly equine related with people secondary. (but I do have two different sets of business cards anyway.) I really think that I would rather connect with potential people clients through the equine massage. I did this because of the negative experiences with (male) clients I've had calling me lately. Using the equine massage as my primary marketing tool seems to be weeding out the weirdos! I'm also getting more horsewomen! Because as you know there are a lot of women who are just plain horse crazy! I may actually do a yellow pages ad for the first time ever, since I can now market equine massage. I never ran a regular massage ad in the phone book, due to weirdos. There is a really big grey area with legitimate MT's and prostitutes these days in my area. The massage parlors are stealing us professional's wording and descriptions to keep a clean looking front. Its really confusing to clients. I want something that sets me apart and gets the point across "Legitimate trained professional. And I mean it!!" having the equine practice seems to do that for me. Or at least I hope so. I may change things a bit on my website and see what happens. Pueppi,I haven't yet decided if I'm running the special beyond July. That's why I'm contemplating the issue. As long as I run it as a special I can still pull the plug on it at any time. As of right now, the offer ends the end of July, I'm stil [i]considering [/i]whether or not to run the special long term or not. That decision has not yet been made.I would say that they high end of home based practices in this area is pretty much what I'm already charging - around $60 an hour, so I'm one of the more expensive home based therapists in the community.I connected with a local church yesterday that has a prominent member of the congregation who runs a massage school and the church has a therapeutic riding program!

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:18 am

JLWmassage

ย 
ย 

One suggestion I will give you is have the equine massage on it's own page. With you having human and equine massage blended on the same pages can be confusing to potential clients who don't know a thing about horses.You have about 5 sec. to get peoples attention that land on your home page. And your home page screams all about horses, which is great if that's what you want.So I would pay attention to your website stats. Learn what keys words are bring people to your site, how long they stay on your home page. And compare that to how much your phone rings.

One suggestion I will give you is have the equine massage on it's own page. With you having human and equine massage blended on the same pages can be confusing to potential clients who don't know a thing about horses.You have about 5 sec. to get peoples attention that land on your home page. And your home page screams all about horses, which is great if that's what you want.So I would pay attention to your website stats. Learn what keys words are bring people to your site, how long they stay on your home page. And compare that to how much your phone rings.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:22 am

pueppi

ย 
ย 

Elliemare wrote:kathryn wrote:From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70? No actually $60 is the going rate for spas and wellness centers and chiropractors. Most home based practitioners charge less. I've seen home-based therapists charge as little as $25 an hour! Another therapist only does 90 minute massages and charges just $60 from her home. Now most of them don't have a nice of a set up as I have, some even doing massage in their living rooms. I get the impression sometimes that some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home? I have been charging $60-$70 an hour since I was in the city and I've kept my rates the same since relocating. So, Elliemare, you don't tell us what the average or even high home rates are beside yours. You've mentioned what you've seen as low. What about the others? Just how high are you above other home practices? Possibly it will make a difference on people having this conversation with you.Elliemare wrote:Anyway, I'm only running the special, Wednesdays through the month of July, so that's essentially just four days. I really wanted to fill in that day because its my husband's 12 hour work day and I'm home alone ALL DAY. However, the discounted rate is from 10-4, taking my last (discount) appointment at 4 pm.In your opening post you mentioned "However, I am considering running this special long term if it leads to regular, loyal clients. So far, its working! I'm getting calls and I'm filling in the time slots and the best part is that its mostly women!"It's a little hard to tell if you are continuing with the deal or only doing it through July. Initial post... thinking about extending. In your recent post, you are only running the special through July. This tends to confuse the conversation.Elliemare wrote:I'm trying to think of ways to get horse owners, trainers, farrier, vets on my table so they can experience first hand what I can do for them and their horses. I'm not sure how approach that situation yet? Discount? Freebee? IDK?You may want to make a new topic with this question. It seems to be different than this topic, and may not garner too many results here. If you start a new topic, maybe you'll get more creative ideas. (???)

[quote="Elliemare"][quote="kathryn"]From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70? [/quote]No actually $60 is the going rate for spas and wellness centers and chiropractors. Most home based practitioners charge less. I've seen home-based therapists charge as little as $25 an hour! Another therapist only does 90 minute massages :smt017 and charges just $60 from her home. Now most of them don't have a nice of a set up as I have, some even doing massage in their living rooms. I get the impression sometimes that some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home? I have been charging $60-$70 an hour since I was in the city and I've kept my rates the same since relocating. [/quote]So, Elliemare, you don't tell us what the average or even high home rates are beside yours. You've mentioned what you've seen as low. What about the others? Just how high are you above other home practices? Possibly it will make a difference on people having this conversation with you.[quote="Elliemare"]Anyway, I'm only running the special, Wednesdays through the month of July, so that's essentially just four days. I really wanted to fill in that day because its my husband's 12 hour work day and I'm home alone ALL DAY. However, the discounted rate is from 10-4, taking my last (discount) appointment at 4 pm.[/quote]In your opening post you mentioned "However, I am considering running this special long term if it leads to regular, loyal clients. So far, its working! I'm getting calls and I'm filling in the time slots and the best part is that its mostly women!"It's a little hard to tell if you are continuing with the deal or only doing it through July. Initial post... thinking about extending. In your recent post, you are [i]only[/i] running the special through July. This tends to confuse the conversation.[quote="Elliemare"]I'm trying to think of ways to get horse owners, trainers, farrier, vets on my table so they can experience first hand what I can do for them and their horses. I'm not sure how approach that situation yet? Discount? Freebee? IDK?[/quote]You may want to make a new topic with this question. It seems to be different than this topic, and may not garner too many results here. If you start a new topic, maybe you'll get more creative ideas. (???)

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:41 am

Elliemare

ย 
ย 

kathryn wrote:From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70? No actually $60 is the going rate for spas and wellness centers and chiropractors. Most home based practitioners charge less. I've seen home-based therapists charge as little as $25 an hour! Another therapist only does 90 minute massages and charges just $60 from her home. Now most of them don't have a nice of a set up as I have, some even doing massage in their living rooms. I get the impression sometimes that some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home? I have been charging $60-$70 an hour since I was in the city and I've kept my rates the same since relocating. Anyway, I'm only running the special, Wednesdays through the month of July, so that's essentially just four days. I really wanted to fill in that day because its my husband's 12 hour work day and I'm home alone ALL DAY. However, the discounted rate is from 10-4, taking my last (discount) appointment at 4 pm. And I'm sticking to my guns on that too! No one is going to talk me in to giving them the discounted rate on any other day or at any other time! I'm really pleased that I am getting mostly women too. Actually all of them live within very close proximity to me. One even has a horse farm, and I just finished my equine massage training! I'm trying to think of ways to get horse owners, trainers, farrier, vets on my table so they can experience first hand what I can do for them and their horses. I'm not sure how approach that situation yet? Discount? Freebee? IDK?

[quote="kathryn"]From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70? [/quote]No actually $60 is the going rate for spas and wellness centers and chiropractors. Most home based practitioners charge less. I've seen home-based therapists charge as little as $25 an hour! Another therapist only does 90 minute massages :smt017 and charges just $60 from her home. Now most of them don't have a nice of a set up as I have, some even doing massage in their living rooms. I get the impression sometimes that some people begrudge those of us who charge $50 or more to work from home? I have been charging $60-$70 an hour since I was in the city and I've kept my rates the same since relocating. Anyway, I'm only running the special, Wednesdays through the month of July, so that's essentially just four days. I really wanted to fill in that day because its my husband's 12 hour work day and I'm home alone ALL DAY. However, the discounted rate is from 10-4, taking my last (discount) appointment at 4 pm. And I'm sticking to my guns on that too! No one is going to talk me in to giving them the discounted rate on any other day or at any other time! I'm really pleased that I am getting mostly women too. Actually all of them live within very close proximity to me. One even has a horse farm, and I just finished my equine massage training! I'm trying to think of ways to get horse owners, trainers, farrier, vets on my table so they can experience first hand what I can do for them and their horses. I'm not sure how approach that situation yet? Discount? Freebee? IDK?

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Convoluted

ย 
ย 

My first thought is whatever works for you, do it. If it's meeting your needs and your situation, that is what matters. From what I understand you are tyring to fill a slow time slot with massage. Instead of the 60 Minute session you are doing the 50 Minute. (Do you do 60 minutes normally?) Women are booking, which you want. It's in your home, you are not working somewhere else and making $20 (or whatever) plus tips. From what was mentioned before this is not money you are depending on for your household. Something I thought about is what if I was your client? How would I repsond if I had been coming in at your $35 rate and then the special was over? It's one thing to try it once and then start paying full rate, but what if I had done it multiple times? Knowing my self I don't think I'd be back at the full rate unless you were the best MT I have ever seen! I do think that a low rate can affect the client on a subconscious or pyschological level. The dollar value is less, the personal value might become less. There's my food for thought."Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients?"Would I do it? No, it's not something that would be win-win for me. I am different shoes. I also prefer not to do discounts other than a package. As far as my own business goes, I have been "self emloyed" since Oct 2009. Before that I was an employee. When I started self employement I decided no discounts, only packages up to $10 off a session. There were a few times in the beginning months that it was slow going, but now I have over 13 months of being booked enough and many times I am fully booked. It was worth it to me to go through the slow times to get to the volume I am at now.

My first thought is whatever works for you, do it. If it's meeting your needs and your situation, that is what matters. From what I understand you are tyring to fill a slow time slot with massage. Instead of the 60 Minute session you are doing the 50 Minute. (Do you do 60 minutes normally?) Women are booking, which you want. It's in your home, you are not working somewhere else and making $20 (or whatever) plus tips. From what was mentioned before this is not money you are depending on for your household. Something I thought about is what if I was your client? How would I repsond if I had been coming in at your $35 rate and then the special was over? It's one thing to try it once and then start paying full rate, but what if I had done it multiple times? Knowing my self I don't think I'd be back at the full rate unless you were the best MT I have ever seen! I do think that a low rate can affect the client on a subconscious or pyschological level. The dollar value is less, the personal value might become less. There's my food for thought."Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients?"Would I do it? No, it's not something that would be win-win for me. I am different shoes. I also prefer not to do discounts other than a package. As far as my own business goes, I have been "self emloyed" since Oct 2009. Before that I was an employee. When I started self employement I decided no discounts, only packages up to $10 off a session. There were a few times in the beginning months that it was slow going, but now I have over 13 months of being booked enough and many times I am fully booked. It was worth it to me to go through the slow times to get to the volume I am at now.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:04 pm

kathryn

ย 
ย 

So, let's look at the math from your perspective... I was just using me as an example b/c I don't know what the going rate is in your area. To be honest, $80/hr is actually mid-range for the area I work b/c my office is in an affluent area of San Diego. From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70? If that's the case, you could just lower your fees to reflect the going average on your slow days, even maybe charging $55/hr rather than dropping them to half off (which would be $35?). Even in that situation, you would still bring in more money working less, which is (IMO) a better situation for us mt's b/c massage does put wear and tear on the body. But, if Pueppi is correct, and you don't depend on the work to pay bills and eat, then you have more freedom making decisions whether or not they are conducive for business growth. For someone who depends on clientele to pay bills and such, the decision to discount by half over a long period of time is not a good business decision.

So, let's look at the math from your perspective... I was just using me as an example b/c I don't know what the going rate is in your area. To be honest, $80/hr is actually mid-range for the area I work b/c my office is in an affluent area of San Diego. From your posts, I gather that $60 is the going average for home massage and that you are charging $70? If that's the case, you could just lower your fees to reflect the going average on your slow days, even maybe charging $55/hr rather than dropping them to half off (which would be $35?). Even in that situation, you would still bring in more money working less, which is (IMO) a better situation for us mt's b/c massage does put wear and tear on the body. But, if Pueppi is correct, and you don't depend on the work to pay bills and eat, then you have more freedom making decisions whether or not they are conducive for business growth. For someone who depends on clientele to pay bills and such, the decision to discount by half over a long period of time is not a good business decision.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:01 am

pueppi

ย 
ย 

Quote:Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients?I have to agree with Walt's answer(scroll up). However, in response to your question, I would rather have "higher rates & fewer clients". But, I am getting older and find that long days of massage packed with a lot of clients does cause extra wear and tear on my body and I would like to be providing bodywork into my 60's. So, I may be a little different than the average bodyworker.I don't count my personal worth by the amount of clients I see or the money I make, if that makes a difference.As I recall from another post, you don't have to work... you like to work. I am really happy that you seem to be filling your books with return clients who are female which is what you have been seeking. Will they continue to see you when the sale dies off? And do you know how you will get them on board with regular pricing and do you even care at this point? I'd think these would be the things you would want to ask yourself next.If you want to charge lower rates, another option would be to start charging a little more than the demographic you have moved into and see how things go. Not your city fee, but the fee that works for your community. It may be better than trying to sell "deals" and get people used to paying regular non-sale prices. Just to put them in a more solid thought pattern about your business.The other possibility is to use your free time to market your business, but going to the respective businesses in town. After meeting the owners, send them a gift certificate and nice introduction letter about what you can do for their bodywork needs. You'd basically be giving away one massage, and then encouraging these people to come in at full price, instead of working cheap for long term. I think it probably would all shake out in the wash as to what you are doing currently, and possibly bring you in people who would pay your preferred rate. Maybe give ten a month and expire them in a months time or something. (???) Just a random thought...Warm thoughts that you are able to come up with the right plan that works for you.

[quote]Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients?[/quote]I have to agree with Walt's answer([i]scroll up[/i]). However, in response to your question, I would rather have "higher rates & fewer clients". But, I am getting older and find that long days of massage packed with a lot of clients does cause extra wear and tear on my body and I would like to be providing bodywork into my 60's. So, I may be a little different than the average bodyworker.I don't count my personal worth by the amount of clients I see or the money I make, if that makes a difference.As I recall from another post, you don't [i]have[/i] to work... you like to work. I am really happy that you seem to be filling your books with return clients who are female which is what you have been seeking. Will they continue to see you when the sale dies off? And do you know how you will get them on board with regular pricing and do you even care at this point? I'd think these would be the things you would want to ask yourself next.If you want to charge lower rates, another option would be to start charging a little more than the demographic you have moved into and see how things go. Not your city fee, but the fee that works for your community. It may be better than trying to sell "deals" and get people used to paying regular non-sale prices. Just to put them in a more solid thought pattern about your business.The other possibility is to use your free time to market your business, but going to the respective businesses in town. After meeting the owners, send them a gift certificate and nice introduction letter about what you can do for their bodywork needs. You'd basically be giving away one massage, and then encouraging these people to come in at full price, instead of working cheap for long term. I [i]think[/i] it probably would all shake out in the wash as to what you are doing currently, and possibly bring you in people who would pay your preferred rate. Maybe give ten a month and expire them in a months time or something. (???) Just a random thought...Warm thoughts that you are able to come up with the right plan that works for you.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:34 am

Elliemare

ย 
ย 

The problem is that I'm now dealing with a completely different client demographic. I used to live in the city where people had no qualms about paying higher prices for massage. However, even in the city I would have some people drop off the books for a while due to financial issues, or the fact that they are feeling better, their neck pain is gone and they feel they don't need a massage as often. (Of course after a while when the stress creeps back in they're soon sorry they didn't maintain that standing appointment. )Now I live in the country where everyone is, frankly, cheap. Plus, we have 8 massage schools (in a 35 mile radius) in our not-so-densely populated area (there were 2 when went to school). So, the demographic has changed everywhere due to the oversaturation of MT's in our area. Its a lot different today than it was when I was getting started 12 years ago. Most people who work from their homes charge really low rates. $60/hour in this area is considered really expensive. And even in the city, most MT's haven't raised their prices in 10 years. $60 was the going rate in 1999 and still is today. Its sad.As I see it right now, if I can control the hours and days in which I choose to work for a discounted rate, its better than not working at all. I could continue to have these offers run as a "special" and never make it anything permanent so I can pull the plug on it at any time. Its so hard to fill daytime hours and if people are willing to come to me during those times I'll work for a discount. Otherwise, I'll just have more time on my hands to weed my gardens and I don't get paid to do that.

The problem is that I'm now dealing with a [i]completely [/i]different client demographic. I used to live in the city where people had no qualms about paying higher prices for massage. However, even in the city I would have some people drop off the books for a while due to financial issues, or the fact that they are feeling better, their neck pain is gone and they feel they don't [i]need [/i]a massage as often. (Of course after a while when the stress creeps back in they're soon sorry they didn't maintain that standing appointment. ;) )Now I live in the country where everyone is, frankly, cheap. Plus, we have 8 massage schools (in a 35 mile radius) in our not-so-densely populated area (there were 2 when went to school). So, the demographic has changed [i]everywhere [/i]due to the oversaturation of MT's in our area. Its a lot different today than it was when I was getting started 12 years ago. Most people who work from their homes charge really low rates. $60/hour in this area is considered really expensive. And even in the city, most MT's haven't raised their prices in 10 years. $60 was the going rate in 1999 and still is today. Its sad.As I see it right now, if I can control the hours and days in which I choose to work for a discounted rate, its better than not working at all. I could continue to have these offers run as a "special" and never make it anything permanent so I can pull the plug on it at any time. Its so hard to fill daytime hours and if people are willing to come to me during those times I'll work for a discount. Otherwise, I'll just have more time on my hands to weed my gardens and I don't get paid to do that.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:57 am

kathryn

ย 
ย 

Elliemare wrote: Quote:Do you think I could be getting more women because of the lower price? Women love a bargain, and men, at least the unsavory kind, might think they get "more" when they pay more for a massage?I know this sounds crude but a man can get a blowjob for $20 or less, so that is unlikely. As to your question Quote:Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients? that depends on the math. I charge $80 per hour, since most of my clients pre-pay pkgs, I usually get $68 per hour. Okay, I work generally about five clients a day and that brings in $340 for five physical hours of work and add in about two hours of record, note and clean-up. Okay, say I work at a local franchise and make $20 per hour. I know that is a valid example because one of the young women I am mentoring is making that amount at a local franchise. She will make $100 for five hours of work, so she would need to work 17 hours in order to bring in what I'm getting for 5-7 hours of work. I agree with Walt, if you want to do steep discounts to fill in slow days, that's your call, but you might not want to do that for an extended amount of time. Here's some things to think about:1. Why can't you bring in regular paying clients on your slow days, or make those clients coming in on slow days higher paying clientele? 2. Why are you having difficulty with regular paying clients keeping their appointments? It takes patience to wait out and build the business and although times may seem desperate, you have to look at things in a world-view manner. Eventually, you may burn out or start resenting offering all the lower prices and even get clients who find out you are offering lower prices to others and they will want the same. And you're just guessing those clients are going to become regulars. You will know for sure after a month or so. Those "regulars" may only be after a deal, when it's gone--- so are they. For me, I would rather charge my regular fee and have less clients, than charge less and have to work more.

Elliemare wrote: [quote]Do you think I could be getting more women because of the lower price? Women love a bargain, and men, at least the unsavory kind, might think they get "more" when they pay more for a massage?[/quote]I know this sounds crude but a man can get a blowjob for $20 or less, so that is unlikely. As to your question [quote]Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients? that depends on the math. I charge $80 per hour, since most of my clients pre-pay pkgs, I usually get $68 per hour. Okay, I work generally about five clients a day and that brings in $340 for five physical hours of work and add in about two hours of record, note and clean-up. Okay, say I work at a local franchise and make $20 per hour. I know that is a valid example because one of the young women I am mentoring is making that amount at a local franchise. She will make $100 for five hours of work, so she would need to work 17 hours in order to bring in what I'm getting for 5-7 hours of work. I agree with Walt, if you want to do steep discounts to fill in slow days, that's your call, but you might not want to do that for an extended amount of time. Here's some things to think about:1. Why can't you bring in regular paying clients on your slow days, or make those clients coming in on slow days higher paying clientele? 2. Why are you having difficulty with regular paying clients keeping their appointments? It takes patience to wait out and build the business and although times may seem desperate, you have to look at things in a world-view manner. Eventually, you may burn out or start resenting offering all the lower prices and even get clients who find out you are offering lower prices to others and they will want the same. And you're just guessing those clients are going to become regulars. You will know for sure after a month or so. Those "regulars" may only be after a deal, when it's gone--- so are they. For me, I would rather charge my regular fee and have less clients, than charge less and have to work more.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 pm

WaltFritz

ย 
ย 

I would prefer to build a steady clientele with excellent work and higher prices. Discount rates is a hard rut to pull out from.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Elliemare

ย 
Rock bottom price promos
ย 

I have run "half-price" promos in the past and had them backfire on me. All I got was cheapos who stopped coming the minute the promo ended.I got to thinking recently about running a really low-priced special on my slow days just to fill my book.Wednesdays are slow for me and I don't care for working late into the evening, so I decided to run a half-price special on Wednesdays from 10am-4pm. Its half price off of an "hour therapeutic" which is normally $70 and its a "professional hour" of 50 minutes, so its not really half price for me.I figure its worth it to fill those time slots with discounted sessions than have none at all, plus I'm not giving away cheap massages during prime hours like evenings, fridays or saturdays. I'm only running this special through the month of July to see how it goes.However, I am considering running this special long term if it leads to regular, loyal clients. So far, its working! I'm getting calls and I'm filling in the time slots and the best part is that its mostly women! (I've never been particularly comfortable with male callers since I work from my home.) Do you think I could be getting more women because of the lower price? Women love a bargain, and men, at least the unsavory kind, might think they get "more" when they pay more for a massage?I've also been thinking that I would rather charge lower prices and have long-term, loyal clients who keep standing appointments than charge a really high rate and have people unable to committ to a regular standing appointment. Does that make sense? However, as I said before, I would not work evenings or weekends for lower than the regular rate.Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients?

I have run "half-price" promos in the past and had them backfire on me. All I got was cheapos who stopped coming the minute the promo ended.I got to thinking recently about running a really low-priced special on my slow days just to fill my book.Wednesdays are slow for me and I don't care for working late into the evening, so I decided to run a half-price special on Wednesdays from 10am-4pm. Its half price off of an "hour therapeutic" which is normally $70 and its a "professional hour" of 50 minutes, so its not really half price for me.I figure its worth it to fill those time slots with discounted sessions than have none at all, plus I'm not giving away cheap massages during prime hours like evenings, fridays or saturdays. I'm only running this special through the month of July to see how it goes.However, I am considering running this special long term if it leads to regular, loyal clients. So far, its working! I'm getting calls and I'm filling in the time slots and the best part is that its mostly women! (I've never been particularly comfortable with male callers since I work from my home.) Do you think I could be getting more women because of the lower price? Women love a bargain, and men, at least the unsavory kind, might think they get "more" when they [i]pay [/i]more for a massage?I've also been thinking that I would rather charge lower prices and have long-term, loyal clients who keep standing appointments than charge a really high rate and have people unable to committ to a regular standing appointment. Does that make sense? However, as I said before, I would not work evenings or weekends for lower than the regular rate.Which would you rather have, higher rates and fewer clients or lower rates and more regular clients?

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Board index ยป Business ยป Business Issues & Marketing Discussion